Recorded Documents

The County Recorder manages and protects public records including records related to land ownership and records of birth, death and marriage. 

Land Records

The Inyo County Recorder has maintained copies of all recorded land transaction since the county was formed in 1866. The County Recorder is responsible to preserve this information permanently. Recording land ownership documents is not a legal requirement. However, recording your documents with the Country Recorder creates a permanent record of your homeownership even if your original documents are lost or stolen. 

What documents can be recorded?

There are very specific legal requirements to record documents in the State of California. Generally, any document signed by a person or persons transferring the ownership of land or creating a debt or duty in property can be recorded as long as it is in the proper format. The recorders office cannot give legal advice on how to complete a form but we can assist you with you questions on whether or not a document may be recorded.

Important! Effective January 1, 2015, all document required to be acknowledged in the State of California must have the the following specific disclaimer as a part of the acknowledgement "A notary public or other officer completing this certificate verifies only the identity of the individual who signed the document to which this certificate is attached, and not the truthfulness, accuracy, or validity of that document."  The disclaimer must be legible and in an enclosed box. Click here to view the new California acknowledgement form.

What is the cost to record a document?

Documents that transfer title have additional recording fees and requirements. Any document that transfers title must have a Preliminary Change of Ownership attached or there is an additional $20.00 penalty fee due at the time of recording. In addition, if the property is being transferred for money or other consideration, a transfer tax of $0.55 per every five hundred dollars, or fractional part thereof paid is also due. If you are not sure if a transfer tax is owed, please review the Inyo County Transfer Tax Guideline.

Regular recording fees for the first page (limited to 8 1/2" X 11" paper)
Recording fee for each additional page
Penalty for pages other than 8 1/2" X 11". This fee is applied to every page in the entire document, even if only page is the incorrect size.
Combined documents. This fee is applied only to the first page. There is no additional cost for additional pages
Penalty for recording transfer documents without a Preliminary Change of Ownership Report
Fee for indexing additional mining claim names (does not include the first mining claim name). Mining claims that are grouped together, i.e.. Gold claim #1, Gold claim #2, & Gold claim #3 are indexed as one item "Gold Claim 1-3" and are not charged the additional indexing fee.
Release of a government lien
UCC Filing  that is 1-2 pages
UCC Filing that is 3 or more pages
Map recordings for the first page
Map recording fees for additional pages
Fee to send a notice of an involuntary lien. This fee applies to each debtor address noticed.

For a complete list of recording fees please view our fee schedule.

How do I request a copy of a document?

You may search the online index of recorded documents from 1982-current for no cost.  

To request copies of documents contact our office.

How can I find out where a plot of land is located?

You may search our GIS database using an address or Assessor's parcel number.


Affidavit of Assessment Work

Notice of Intent to Hold

Preliminary Change of Ownership Report

Birth, Death and Marriage records

How do I order a copy of a Birth Certificate?

How do I order a copy of a Death Certificate?

How do I order a copy of a Marriage Certificate?